For days, fear and uncertainty weighed heavily on the community of Eruku in Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State. Armed men had stormed Christ Apostolic Church during a service, killing three worshippers and abducting 38 others in what became one of the most shocking attacks the community had witnessed.
Families waited anxiously, hoping for news—any news—about their loved ones.
Behind the scenes, security forces and government officials worked around the clock, combing forests and tracking leads. President Bola Tinubu was said to have taken a direct interest in the rescue operation, postponing a scheduled trip to the G20 meeting in South Africa to focus on the security breaches in Kwara and Kebbi States. He reportedly ordered increased troop deployment and heightened security operations in affected areas.
Kwara State Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, closely monitored the situation, receiving updates as various agencies joined forces—the Department of State Services, the Nigerian Army, the Nigeria Police, the Nigeria Intelligence Agency, and local vigilantes all playing their part.
After days of tense waiting, the breakthrough finally came.
On Saturday afternoon, word reached the community that all 38 abductees had been rescued. Security operatives informed community leaders around 4 pm, confirming what residents had prayed for since the attack.
The Secretary of CAC Oke Isegun, Michael Agbabiaka, said the news sparked relief across the town as families prepared to welcome their loved ones home. Many stood outside their homes, waiting to see them return alive and safe.
The rescue was the result of an extensive combing operation involving soldiers, tactical police teams, anti-kidnapping operatives and other security units. Their mission finally paid off, bringing an emotional end to a harrowing chapter for the small Kwara community and offering hope that justice—and safety—would follow.

