By Kede Aihie, Editor in Chief
Suspected female suicide bombers attacked a busy motor park in Maiduguri, killing over 30 persons and leaving many injured.
An eyewitness witness, Danladi Buba, said the two female suicide bombers detonated Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) near the motor park around 9:00 a.m. Also, an explosion in a Maiduguri mosque yesterday left about 20 people dead.
The death toll of Maiduguri multiple bomb blasts in Borno State on Sunday, yesterday hit 52 with 124 injured and being treated at the state Specialist Hospital, Umaru Shehu Ultra-Modern Hospital and the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH), Maiduguri.
Out of the 85 injured ones brought to the state specialist hospital, nine were, however, referred to UMTH, because of their higher degree burns and gunshot wounds.
These were disclosed yesterday by the Chief Medical Directors of the Specialist Hospital and Umaru Shehu Hospital, Dr. Laraba Bello and Dr. Salisu Kwaya Bura, while briefing Governor Kashim Shettima on the state of patients at the hospitals.
On the Madagali attack, Buba said:“ Very many people, about 30 people were killed with 16 others injured.”
When contacted, the Brigade Commander of 28 Task Force Brigade, Mubi, Brigadier-General Victor Ezugwu, confirmed the incident, saying though, the exact casualty figure was yet to be established.
“Two female suicide bombers struck at a motor park in Madagali and detonated their devices, and we lost some beloved countrymen,” Ezugwu said. He also said the injured had been taken to hospital while the military had cordoned off the area. The brigade commander said the situation had been brought under control and that normalcy would soon return though he stressed that soldiers and other security agents were on high alert.
The National Environmental Management Agency (NEMA) boss in Adamawa, Saad Bello, also confirmed the attack.
The explosion in the Maiduguri mosque went off as residents speculated that a fleeing Boko Haram bomber had abandoned an IED in the area during Sunday night’s attack on the city.
A police officer, who spoke anonymously on the matter said the victims had gathered to investigate if a bomb was truly abandoned in the mosque as was being speculated.
“I have never seen such foolishness that people would go peeping into a mosque to find out if truly there was an explosive device left in the place.
Unfortunately, there was a bomb in the mosque and when it exploded, over 20 persons were killed and many injured,” he said. “A man saw two girls walking around and he tried to caution them to be careful as it was dangerous for them to be wandering about. We understand the man had hardly finished speaking when the two girls detonated the devices strapped on their bodies, killing the man and some other persons,” Abdullahi said.
He continued,for some time, ‘’we had been spared the death and destruction by these suicide bombers but now we do not know what will happen’’. ‘’We are under siege and we don’t know how many of these bombs or these female suicide bombers were sneaked into Maiduguri,”.
According to Dr. Laraba , 32 bodies were deposited in the hospital morgue, while 85 injured people were admitted yesterday with nine of the patients referred to UMTH for further treatments for burns and multiple fractures.
The General Officer Commanding of 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, Maj-Gen. Lamidi Adeosun yesterday at the press briefing at the Media Centre of Operation Lafiya Dole said that 26 residents died, with 86 others injured in Sunday and Monday’s multiple blasts.